Ancillary services

Generation also needs to balance the grid

The Modo projection of volumes of Balancing Reserve, Slow Reserve, Quick Reserve, and the Dynamic Frequency Response suite is shown here, along with the technologies we expect to participate in them.

We expect:

  • Batteries do all of Dynamic Containment, Dynamic Moderation, and Dynamic Regulation;
  • Batteries do 80% of Quick Reserve, and Pumped storage does the other 20%;
  • And, Slow Reserve requirement is met by pumped storage and other storage (30%), with the rest done by other technology types.

What’s Next

Next we look at the capacity of storage, the most important aspect for us.